June 28, 2007 – Oh boy – Canada Day is around the corner. Other than the fact that Canada Day also happens to be my wedding anniversary, I am sentimental about Canada Day. I am a technically a dual citizen (gasp!). I was born and raised in the O.C. (California). But thankfully the silver lining of my parent’s split, was the fact that I moved to Canada and became a Canadian citizen. Having crossed the borders back and forth for much of my life, I definately have a unique perspective. I really can feel a shift in culture and attitude entering Canada that is really hard to explain but is shared by others who have had similar repeated border jumping experiences. I thought I would do a love letter list of why I LOVE Canada. Feel free to add your loves in the comment section!
P.S. Have a great Canada Day. Note that along with other businesses, Love, Me will be shut tight.
- the Health Care system (ours has issues but it is miles better than the U.S.)
- the education system (ditto above)
- Leonard Cohen
- Joni Mitchell (ok there is some much Canadian music)
- Ann-Marie MacDonald, Allistar MacLeod, and so many MANY great Canadian Authors
- maple syrup
- back bacon (Canadian bacon)
- fall apples (Why do we have apples from China in the supermarket? I digress)
- Lloyd Robertson (“And that’s the kind of day its been”)
- Our national news – it is, for the most part, real news
- Sarah Polley and Ellen Page
- Tegan and Sara (right – some much Canadian music)
- Stuart MacLean
- CBC (it has it’s issue but come one, so great)
- Our recycling programs
- David Suzuki (how cute is the new ConserveNS commercial with him in it?)
- The landscape (side note nod to the Group of Seven and Emily Carr who captured the “essence”)
- La La La Human Steps (my favorite Canadian dance troupe)
- Great comedy – Shawn Mujumder, 22 minutes (heart “On your side” with Nathan Fielder)
And the list could continue here but I would be here all day.