Many moons ago, when I was a wee early twenty-something, I toiled away for a year at a outdoor gear retail shop as a cashier and sometimes sales staffer, to save enough money to backpack through Europe. In every town I went to on my three month journey, I would inevitably find a shop that was unique and “spoke to me”. I would walk through it lingering over cool product, admiring decor and taking in the atmosphere. Then I would go outside and write notes or sketch in my journal. These compiled notes and drawings made up a grand image of the “one day dream of opening a shop”.
Fast forward to October 2007. With the help of some friends, I sat late into the morning of October 12th, pricing, arranging, and cleaning up my dream shop for its opening reveal the next day. The next morning I could hardly breathe as I got dressed. And when I finally turned the latch to “open”, I thought I was going to throw up.
October 14th, I celebrate my fourth birthday. And celebrate I will. I weathered some diverse storms here at the shop, including having a second baby. (I shake my head at that twentysomething me that envisioned her one day dream shop with a baby bassinet in the corner and herself managing to nurse, carry, nap a baby in a shop while at the same time manage to keep up with all the administrative, financial, marketing, product management tasks all with a warm soy latte in her hand. HA!) In these four years I have also grown exponentially. I have met lots of great new customers, other wonderful business owners, and engaged in some new and exciting projects. I have worked with some amazingly talented artists and crafters. I have learned some life lessons.
So while this dream of opening a store has not been easy, it has been so very rewarding. And as I have just finished celebrating another Thanksgiving, I do give thanks. I am thankful that I took a chance on that young girls dream and that so many of you share in it with your smiles, your enthusiasm, and your support (and yes, your purchases).
And now to celebrate. To celebrate, I am looking to share the love with you and those you love. I have FOUR main methods of communication: blog, newsletter, facebook, and twitter. For the next twentyFOUR hours, I will draw one “winner” from each communication source. Each winner will receive FOURty dollars of Love, Me bucks split into ten dollar denominations – one for you and three so you can share the love with friends. Details below.
To win FOUR ten dollar Love, Me dollars you must do (at least) one of the following:
- Leave a comment here in this blog post telling me what you love about handmade goods – purchased here, given to you or in general.
- Subscribe to our newsletter. That’s all.
- Go to our Facebook Page. Like Us. And then leave a comment on the “post” about our birthday: “I love Love, Me Boutique” (and feel free to tell us why).
- Follow Love, Me Boutique on Twitter. And then tweet “I love Canadian handmade and I love @LoveMeBoutique.”
1. One prize will be drawn from each of the FOUR entry points: comments to this blog post, new subscribers, Facebook Page birthday post comments, and Twitter tweets.
2. You don’t have to be local to win but we hope the three friends you share the love with are local. The idea is that we find more people to love and for you to share your love of us with people you think will love us back. It is one big love fest!!
3. Love, Me winnings will not be mailed out. They are to be picked up in house.
4. There is no minimum purchase necessary with this gift. Just $10 worth of Love, Me goodness. But these Love, Me dollars are NOT redeemable for cash. Oh – and they don’t count toward tax.
5. This contest runs for twentyFOUR hours. It begins October 12, 5pm and closes on the October 13 at 5pm.